Field Adjuster - Missouri Territory
Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is seeking an experienced Field Claims Adjuster. Applicants should have 5 or more years of experience handling Property and Casualty claims in the field. The position requires extended periods of driving and requires the physical ability to climb ladders, walk roofs, and perform other functions in the field.
The territory is Kansas City, covering Eastern KS and western MO.
The field adjuster’s role in the claim is to inspect, investigate, and prepare estimates for covered damage. Tasks include driving, taking recorded statements, photographing damaged property, preparing diagrams and estimates, identifying and recommending appropriate reserves, negotiating with contractors and body shops to reach agreed price for covered repairs, and completing detailed and well-written reports. The adjuster will also complete underwriting inspections in the field on new business and renewals. The field adjuster must be an effective communicator and is expected to provide superior customer service in interactions with policyholders and other parties involved in the claim handling process.
- In-depth understanding of Personal and Commercial insurance policy coverages and applications
- Strong customer service and conflict resolution capabilities
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate multiple party involvement to ensure smooth claim process
- Strong negotiation skills to effect prompt and fair claim settlements
- Investigate claims, including taking recorded statements, photographing and measuring damage, and writing estimates.
- Strong knowledge of auto body repair and ability to utilize specialty software to write auto and truck estimates
- Strong knowledge of building construction and ability to utilize specialty software to write estimates on commercial and residential properties
- Ability to read financial statements and understand basic accounting and business income principles
- Ability to think “outside the box” and demonstrate problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills are necessary to effectively operate in the paperless Claims Management System
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to operate Microsoft Office, specifically Word, and have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Excel.
- Must be able to prepare and present thoughtful and detailed reports.
- Must be able to organize a workload that involves heavy communication via written correspondence, email, and telephone.
- Must be physically able to drive for long distances when necessary for claim inspections.
- Must be physically able to travel for extended periods for CAT duty when necessary
- Must be physically able to carry, transport, set up, ascend, and descend ladders
- Must be physically able to walk on roofs (with appropriate safety measures)
- Continuing education to maintain state-specific licensing requirements
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to absorb and adapt to changing technologies in the work environment
Qualifications and Skills:
- Preferred Formal Education - College degree; AIC, CPCU or other Insurance-related designation; at least 5 years equivalent work experience in Claims Adjusting
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- MS office experience, specifically Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a work-from-home environment.
- Strong estimate writing skills
- Midwest utilizes Mitchell for auto estimating, and PowerClaim and CoreLogic for property estimating and valuations. Experience with these software applications is a plus.
This is a remote position (work from home/field) and requires someone who can work independently and as part of a remote team environment. A dedicated home office space, wired high speed internet connection, and ability to work well in this type of environment is required.
Midwest Family Mutual offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Savings, Flexible Spending, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, 401(K), Roth 401K, and Pension Plan.